View Single Post
Laurel 10:50 AM 10-22-2014
Originally Posted by altandra:
I have ages 13 months to 4 years in my care. I'm having trouble fitting in fun activities in our routine. They are awesome at playing and could keep each other busy all day, but when I try to actually do some art or a circle time, it's just a mess. I just have such a mix of ages that the little ones always poop or need something when I'm trying to give the olders more attention and it ends up not being worth it to me or the olders lose interest. I wouldn't even try if I didn't have the 3 and 4 year olds that I feel need a little "more"... whatever that may be. I guess I've been feeling guilty almost because I feel like they should have something to show for being here all day but I can never fit it in! With this mix in ages, should I be doing more, or do you think it's better that they are happy and safe in our little routine?
I used to fit it in where I could for the older ones and if it didn't work out then it didn't. You don't have to have everyone do something at the same time. Like if I had one of the older ones either come earlier than the others or leave later, I'd sneak in a short art project for just that child. I'd try to find another time to fit in the other older child. If some are faster eating lunch, you could give them something at the table while the others are still eating. Many times I would just put the babies in their high chairs and give them something to play with like blocks while the 3 and 4 year old were at the dining room table doing something. Also it should be open ended art/crafts, etc. for best results. Something that doesn't take much if any participation from you. Markers and paper, stickers, scissors and paper to cut. they love scotch tape, anything to glue if they are okay with that. I used to put a glob of glue on a paper plate and give them a paintbrush to brush it on with. They can cut pieces of construction paper to stick to it or you can. To be honest, they just liked to smear around the glue. Play dough is great as it takes little help from you. A small chalkboard and chalk is easy.

It is fairly simple to use liquid watercolor (buy it at Discount School supply), put a little in a dish and give them a paintbrush. This works really well with babies in high chair. They just do a little painting and it takes all of 5 minutes and that is going through a couple of pieces of paper each. If you have some magnet refrigerator clips you can clip them on the fridge to dry.

Can you get the older ones either down for nap 15 min. later or up a bit earlier? There is some time. You have to find little pockets of time and not worry if everyone is doing it together or not. If I had one older child do something and couldn't find time for second one then I'd save the first child's to send home the next day when they both had completed it.

Just some ideas....

Laurel