View Single Post
melilley 11:05 AM 10-22-2014
My kids are 10 months to 3 years. I am a play based program, and I do have a circle time, but they don't have to participate, and it usually only lasts 10-20 minutes. We sing, read, do finger plays, count, have a color, letter, and talk about the theme of the week, talk about the weather, what ever we are interested in. I sit down and start singing our day of the week song and who ever wants to come and join me does, the others continue playing. Most of the time, the older kids participate and the younger ones usually do participate too. They may not sit there, but they dance, clap, sing, etc... where ever they are playing. And they are usually listening, even when you don't think that they are. When my ds was younger (about 18 mo.), I didn't think that he gave two hoots about what I did in circle. But then one day, I looked over as I was counting and he was putting his fingers up and was "counting".
Same with art, sensory, etc... I provide the materials for the activity and they choose whether or not they want to participate. The rest can play. For the younger ones, I sit them down and give them the opportunity to do the activity and read their cues to see if they want to participate or not.

I tell parents during interviews that I run my program as a play based program. I tell them from the beginning that I don't do any type of formal preschool, that we learn through play and do have a voluntary circle time where I introduce things and that I do offer different activities, but that most are voluntary, that way they don't expect "more" as they would see it.

I think that you are doing great!