View Single Post
Pestle 12:08 PM 12-19-2017
Originally Posted by lovemykidstoo:
Oh my gosh yes. I love it especially when the parents come through the door too. I have several kids that when they walk in the door they stand there and put one foot after the other in the air and the parents takes their shoes off, then they take their coats/hats off. I just stare and say that I'm so glad you're able to do all of that yourself when we go outside. ugh! They're 3 1/2!

My one dcb that is leaving to go to preschool/daycare next week, the mom is worried because they will eat lunch there and he can't carry a tray himself. I said, really? Come on, he'll be 4 in I think April. He can perfectly well carry a lunch tray. She does everything for him.
Yep yep yep. My kid was in a Montessori school from age 1-4, so they taught her all that, and now I'm working to teach it all to another batch of kiddos. It makes me aware of the life skills I didn't teach her at an early age, which her teachers had to handle for me. I overestimated how old she'd be when she was ready for each new step in self-care.

Of course, she did fail stairs her first year. They didn't grade "stairs" the following years, but now at age five, I'd still flunk her stair capabilities. It's like the instant her foot hits the first tread, everything else in the world is more interesting than the vertical deathtrap in front of her. "Stop LOOKING BEHIND YOU and watch where you're putting your feet! No; don't LOOK UP AT ME! Where is your foot? Look where you're going!"