View Single Post
NightOwl 08:04 AM 05-09-2014
Originally Posted by Jack Sprat:
Dear Families,

I am updating a few policies. These policy updates are for the safety and well-being of all children in our daycare.

1. Biting – biting is a normal behavior in children that are non-verbal and or unable to communicate their feelings in another way. This is fairly common in children under the age of 2. Or in those children that are teething. Biting will not be tolerated in the daycare. << (I would change this sentence to this: Biting for any other reason than lack of communication skills due to age or teething will not be tolerated). Redirection and prevention is used for those children under the age of two. Children who are verbal and have shown that are able to communicate their needs but, bite for whatever reason will be given an immediate time out. If the biting continues the child will be suspended from daycare for 24hrs. If there are continued incidents the child will no longer be allowed into care. (I would give a specific number of incidents when termination will occur, such as after 3 or 5). The daycare is liable for the injury that is caused by the biter. <<<(I would eliminate this. You may be setting yourself up for trouble by telling parents you are liable. And I wouldn't refer to the child as "the biter". Some people view that as negatively labeling. I would say "the child who bites") This is not something that the daycare will tolerate.

2. Kicking – Kicking of the animals in daycare will not be allowed. Again this is also a developmental area. Children under the age of 2 are still learning cause and effect. Each situation and child is different and each will be handled differently. Children over the age of two who have shown me that they understand cause and effect, grasp the concept of gentle hands, gentle feet will be given an immediate time out. If there is a 2nd incident the child will be suspended from daycare for 24hrs. If it happens again the child will no longer be allowed into care. Our pets are VERY tolerant with the children, the children thoroughly enjoy playing with them and I believe the animals love the children. Hurting of our pets will not be tolerated. (This is perfect!)

Thank you for sharing your children with me. I hope by making these policies very clear we together as a team can teach the children to be gentle, loving, caring people.
I used () to point out what I would change.