View Single Post
mac60 04:44 PM 04-22-2009
This is complicated. As a provider myself, I put in a sick policy statement in my handbook, basically if out sick...parent or child, for more than 2 weeks, then family is responsible for full payment for first 2 weeks out, then 1/2 payment for remainder, up to 10 weeks, for me to hold their spot. If more time is needed, then I would continue.

As far as providers not being paid when a child is out sick....we are only allowed so many spots, so each spot is worth so many dollars. Because a child is sick a day here and there, does not mean my expenses are any less, such as insurance, utilities, supplies, etc. It is kind of like paying rent for a spot. Think of it this way, you still have to make your rent or house payment even if you leave and go on vacation for 2 weeks. The bank or landlord does not deduct those 2 weeks you are gone. It is the same concept for providers.

Also, every one of my dc moms that I have get paid for when they are off sick, or when they take a day off for their child. They call it paid time off. Many a times I have had a parent call and say "I am playing hooky today and taking the day off". Please understand, that we as providers can not run a business like this. While I do have the policy "Pay whether you are here or not, vacation, holidays, and sick days included", and I do have a sick policy/maternity leave policy, I am considerate of situations. Just as the parent expects us to be open and readily available each and every day, we expect to be paid for our services just like you would pay your mechanic, internet bill, phone bill.

If you called your provider, told her you would be out for these weeks, and stayed in touch with her, then I would think that yes you are responsible for the payments to keep your spot, because by you doing this in my opinion shows you were planning on coming back. If you did not let your provider know you were going to be out these weeks and just didn't show up, then I would think you would be responsible for those 10 days and be out. I find her policy 10 days of no show kind of odd.

While I understand her policy, it is kind of harsh. As far as your child getting sick at daycare....how do you know that is where your child got sick. As a provider, I get so tired of hearing this. I know that I disinfect and sterilize my daycare and home much more than the average family. I don't know where you work, but who is to say that your child didn't get sick from you being exposed to something, or that your child was exposed to something in a public place. Having your child in a small home daycare is probably one of the best things you can do for them, vs a large center.

I totally understand your frustration, and would recommend you find a new provider.