View Single Post
MarinaVanessa 08:58 AM 12-31-2012
Originally Posted by LK5kids:
I love to teach so I do offer a preschool program.
My preschool time sounds a lot like what many of you are doing who feel as tho you don't offer preschool activities.

I am a licensed early childhood K-6 teacher.
I believe in free play wholeheartedly. When I taught kindergarten I made sure my class had 45 min. of free play. I had literacy built into the learning centers but they could go to the doll house, blocks, sensory table! Etc., as long as there was room. They chose where to learn and play.

In my early childhood center I teach with "teachable" moments, do not use things like flash cards, etc.
I do plan my day and have a daily circle time.
I teach with flannel board stories & activities
Songs, movement & movement
Story time, etc.

I also have a planned creative, open-ended art project about 3 x per wk.

I think we are all offering lots of great learning experiences. It shows there is a wide variety of ways to teach. Hats off to all you wonderful providers!!!
My DC kids get a full-day of free play . I guess that's also what a lot of us here do and that's what I mean about me not offering a pre-school curriculum. I don't plan it, or prepare for it. It's all "teachable moments" Our "circle time" isn't even a circle lol. It's all the kids playing in the playroom and we talk about what day it is and look out the window or go outside to see what the weather is like and such and see where the conversation takes us.

We learn only through play, talking ans song. No worksheets, no crafts. It's all child-led here.