View Single Post
wdmmom 02:12 PM 04-30-2012
Originally Posted by Oneluckymom:
Don't you think its odd that we are the only society that feels perfectly fine leaving our children for days at a time. Or that we are quick to move a baby to a completely different room when the rest of the world has been co-sleeping for generations?

I just think that our society feels fine being separated from their own children. We are moving farther and farther from a family centered society.
I couldn't agree more! I have children and understood going in that I would be responsible for many years to come. That means if hubby and I get a "kid free" weekend, we lavish it! It seldomly happens. And, given that we have no children together and neither my childrens dad nor my step-sons mom have anything to do with them, we are full time parents. That means less quality time, less affection and more stress. So be it. I knew all of this when I signed on to being a parent.

My mother has taken the kids for days at a time, even a full week once, but it was to her benefit, not mine. She takes the kids one week during the summer (we live about 3 hours away) but I still work and so does my hubby. We aren't living it up, clubbing or vacationing. We are doing the same ol', same ol' just with a lot less cleaning, laundry and dishes.

I can count how many days I've been away from my children.

I don't see a problem with a weekend getaway (my husband and I did that once in the almost 6 years we've been together) but I could never leave my kids with someone for a week. 5 children is a lot of responsibility and I wouldn't want to ask someone to take it on.