View Single Post
jojosmommy 10:48 AM 11-13-2012
Lots of thoughts on this issue:

1. What kind of formula was LO drinking? Milk based? additionally while mom was BF has she been consuming milk and dairy regularly?

If the formula was milk based and mom was drinking milk and consuming dairy you can assume that milk will be tolerated by LO digestive sytem. However that does not mean large quantities of dairy will sit well in the gut.

2. Was the kid ill at all before or after? Sounds like they didnt want to drink the milk and then got sick when they did. Did they show anyother signs? Maybe they had stomach upset already and the milk made it worse.

Otherwise my DD will not under any circumstances eat some foods which we have later tested allergic to. Maybe this kid knew it wasnt going to go well. Sounds crazy but I have seen it many times.

3. Mom needs to work on supporting you by weaning during the day (even on the weekend) if she wants this child weaned. IF not then know you are going it alone. I am totally accepting of extended BF but you should know what she is doing so you are doing the same.
If mom can get LO down to just nursing at night and morning and having cows milk from the same sippy at home LO can work more on drinking from sippy at daycare.

4. Sippy with straw. Some LO's I have had have gone right to the straw since they either refused or could not do a traiditonal sippy. There are some that come with straws. Worth a shot.

5. I am not sold on dairy as a source of nutrition although I know the FP requires it or a doc note stating allergies. I do know though that alternative forms of milk like soy, almond, coconut etc are not nutritionally complete enough to make up for gaps in solid food jags. So, if for some reason cows milk is off the table, you need to have mom meet with a nutritionist who can work out something with enough good fat and good calories to make up for the fat in cows milk. Also, soy is not recommended for boys and overall is very genetically modified.