Thread: Pacifier Issues
View Single Post
Blackcat31 06:36 AM 02-13-2013
Originally Posted by lovemykidstoo:
I hear ya, but how in the world can I let him have it at naptime knowing that he has bitten the tips off of several pacifiers? What is going to happen if he does that while in his pnp and chokes and dies? It could happen. It IS a choking hazard. I can just see if he were to choke on it and maybe not even die, they would sue me and say that i KNEW that he was doing it. See what I mean? He only has it here during nap, so I don't think it's going to be a big deal. He has bitten the ends off of every single one of his paci's. Why would he stop now? I guess they can do whatever they want on their end, I'm just not really into the risk. My state licensor is coming next week for my audit. I'm curious to see what her opinion is. I know it works so much better when weaning a child together with the parent, but this is the first time I've actually had a child that bit the top off. We talk about how we don't give kids hotdogs at lunch because they could choke. The piece he's biting off is not much smaller than a hotdog bite.
I guess the way I see it you have two choices (if you want to give the issue back to the parents).

You can let him have a new paci (new only) as it won't be as easy to bite the tip off of and the second you notice he is trying to bite it off, I would call the parent and have them come pick up. Rinse and repeat.

The other option is to not allow him to have the paci at all and when nap time comes, if he throws a fit, call the parent for immediate pick up.

That is the only way to return the issue to the parents. They HAVE to take control and not just sit back and let you worry about this. That is so disrespectful.

Personally since you already discussed with DCM him being weaned off and she said she was going to do it, I woud have turned them away this morning and said no way. I just can't believe that they went out and bought him some more paci's....that is the part that throws me for a loop.