View Single Post
MrsB 01:15 PM 03-15-2012
to everything that cheerfuldom said! Especially the parts that its really not our business how parents decide to spend their time while on Maternity leave. Provider can only do what you feel comfortable with.

I DONT buy the arguement that you can't bond with a baby when a sibling is present or that it is less of a bond if its not alone time. I also DONT buy that a kid has to watch TV so you can breastfead. Even in the first couple weeks. I do lots of things that require my full attention and both hands for 30 minutes or longer at a time, and I dont have to put the kids in front of the TV to be successful.

I understand the argument of daycare remaining constant. On the otherhand, I have never had a kid that came for daycare with mom at home on maternity leave, that didnt know they were being sent to daycare while mom stayed home with this new "thing" that is requiring all kinds of issues in my life. This fact can cause more issues than the schedule upheavel would have.

I DO understand why parents would want to send older kids to daycare while on maternity leave and totally believe it is a personal decision. This is a want though not a need. I think the frustration with some providers is that the family passes this off as I can't take care of both effectively. Instead of I dont WANT to do both.

On a tidbit of a tangent, In my experience, sometimes parents put too much worry into how this is going to affect older siblings when a new baby comes. Kids are resilient and I think parents need to give them a little more credit. Myself included with my second child especially.

Keep in mind all these are my experiences and perspectives and not meant to offend anyone personally.