View Single Post
melilley 07:51 PM 01-17-2013
Originally Posted by nothingwithoutjoy:
My program is Reggio-inspired. It's a huge shift in perspective from traditional American schooling, so it's impossible to sum up in a post. A few things that come to mind right away--
--yes, play based and child directed (some say "a negotiated curriculum," as in it's drawn from the children's play/interests/questions but is co-created between the children and the adults)
--based on an assumption of children's competence (vs. their "needs," as we often see things here)
--based on relationships
--high value on the environment, aesthetics
--offering opportunities for children to express what they know through "the hundred languages of children" (i.e. drawing, paint, dance, drama, construction, song, etc, etc, etc)--not crafts, not randomly selected art activities, but art as a medium of communication and problem-solving
--using documentation to record what's going on, analyze it, share it with the community, and reflect back on it with the children--so to build on it and take the project further.

At home, the trickiest part about implementing Reggio practices (for me) is that there's no co-teacher to brainstorm with. And when I'm deep into project work with children and someone suddenly needs to be wiped or a fight needs to be refereed, there's no one but me to do it--so there's a lot more interruptions. Also, at home I don't want the large documentation panels that were a big part of my work in the classroom, so I work to find other ways to document.

I spend my naptimes writing blog posts for the parents, which serve as my main documentation. I'd love to be able to share them with you all, but it's a private blog. I have a few Reggio-based posts on my personal blog, which you may see here, if you're interested. Some other Reggio-inspired aspects you might notice if you visited my home:
--other documentation of our work, such as a book about a recent project
--a fully-stocked art studio in lieu of a playroom
--the use of real materials--from drinking glasses to art supplies--rather than kids' stuff
--child-initiated projects from tiny (a collage) to large (an "museum" evening event for parents planned by the kids, with costumes made by the kids, art displayed by the kids, invitations written by the kids, etc.)
--use of natural materials, light, mirrors.

You can get a tiny glimpse into our day through my recent craigslist ad, here. I also have some environment pics up in the decor forum.

Well, this is turning into a ridiculously long post! I'll leave it there and you can ask me questions if you want more.
Wow! Thank you for all your info...you are truly inspiring me...I have a lot of research to do! Your field bags are amazing! I love how you talk about adding items as time goes on and how the children will learn form what is added as they get older. Thank you for all the information1