View Single Post
Leigh 09:10 PM 07-09-2017
Originally Posted by nannyde:
For providers who take babies from birth to one, can you tell me an average over the last five years (or since you started doing care) of the percent of babies that enter daycare with the ability to sleep in a safe sleep position and safe sleep environment when they begin care?

I'm specifically asking about the ability to sleep flat on their backs (for the ones who can't flip from back to belly), sleep on a flat horizontal surface, sleep without ANYTHING in crib or playpen including lovies, blankets, cloth, sleep without equipment such as swings, carriers or vibrating seats, sleep without being held, walked, or rocked.

Are you receiving babies who have parents who follow safe sleep practices? If they are not, do you feel comfortable discussing safe sleep practices with them and do you document that you have discussed these with them and offered whatever resources you offered?

In my last group of babies in Des Moines, I had one of five babies that slept on back, did not require cloth, motion, bottle, hold, walk, rock to get to sleep when they entered care.

Of the ones who could not, what were they used to before care and how long did it take before they were able to in your care? What percentage did inability to sleep safely end up being termed by you or parent?
I have had exactly ONE baby come to me used to sleeping on his back-his mom works in a local daycare center (I am a home daycare). She works in the infant room at her center and he is by far the easiest baby I've ever had because she worked from day one to try to train him for daycare (sleeping on his back with no toys/blankets/bumpers in his crib, starting from day one to train him to spend some time without being held, never wore him, never co-slept). He is the happiest, most pleasant little boy. Laughs and smiles all day and is by far the most CONFIDENT little man I've ever met. He RARELY cries, and when he does, it is nearly always because his nap time is approaching (he is on a great schedule).

I've had 2 that were just never able to adjust to nap time and couldn't stay here. One coslept with Mom every night (dad was banished to the couch and is still there 2.5 years later). The other was 9 months old, neglected medically and physically, and was left to sleep in a swing or car seat at home often (her dad told me that she slept best in those two locations).

Other kids are used to being rocked to sleep (I rocked my own son to sleep at night, but put him down awake during daytime naps because I knew that the daycare couldn't rock him to sleep), or they sleep in Rock N Plays or swings or with Mom.

I've had parents demand that their infant needed a blanket or toy to sleep with, could only sleep while being held (and thought I would hold him the entire nap period), ones who needed to be "bounced" to sleep.

I address safe sleep at every interview and let expectant parents know that, for the sake of their child's happiness, they MUST train them to sleep at daycare. They MUST learn to sleep flat. That I CAN'T rock them to sleep every nap period. I provide a brochure and a flyer about safe sleep to them, as well. I tell them that blankets in the crib can kill their baby. I tell them that flat on their back is the safest way to sleep.

I have never documented my discussions about safe sleep, other than having parents sign a spot in my contract/handbook stating that their child will not be allowed a blanket, toy, bottle, etc. at my home and that they will sleep flat in an approved crib or pack n play.

Resources? I just give information on safe sleep. I give advice on how to put the baby down drowsy, but awake. I will give suggestions on how to keep a 9 month old from waking them in the night for a bottle and ending up in their bed. If they'll listen, I'll keep giving advice. If they don't, I hope that the child will adjust. Most do, but it isn't easy for them, for me, or for the other kids.

I wish they could all see how much of a difference it makes-my current child who is so happy and confident (and is hitting milestones incredibly early) is that way because his parents made him that way. They taught him that he is capable of sleeping on his own, being on the floor, and doing things for himself. He can self-feed. He drinks from a sippy and is working on an open cup. He is taking steps. All because of his parents and their dedication to giving him that confidence.