View Single Post
Play Care 05:45 AM 10-18-2013
Originally Posted by MissAnn:
I hope I don't step on toes, but I'm amazed at the amount of people who are on FP and serve chicken nuggets, hot dogs, and other junk food.
But this is something a parent can suss out in the interview. Most people who serve those types of food see nothing "wrong" with it. They don't know that veggies shouldn't come from a can, or that spaghetti is anything other then Chef Boyardee (sp?). I remember years ago when I worked in a day hab for disabled adults the woman in charge of teaching cooking was essentially teaching the folks how to reheat processed food When it was pointed out to her that she was supposed to be teaching them to cook from "scratch," she had no idea what that meant... IMO, this has nothing to do with the food program, but is more about the provider and their level of education, or their tolerance for seeing healthy, homemade foods tossed in the trash because the dck's aren't used to eating those types of foods.

I don't serve hotdogs because I think they are gross. And I'm not paying a fortune for "healthier" versions because I see no need to serve them at all. The only thing I buy organic are the fruits and veggies on the dirty dozen list - I refuse to buy organic junk food (so no cheddar bunnies, pirate booty, or boxed mac and cheese, etc.)