View Single Post
Daycare Mommy 03:29 AM 04-19-2010
Originally Posted by QualiTcare:
you don't have to clean the clothes, but why would you hand a parent a bag with a turd in it?

if you're handling poopy underwear to the point where you're bagging them and tying them up to send home - there's not much extra work involved in shaking the turd out over the toilet!

and since you insist on repeating your yearly salary - did u miss the part where i said i made SEVEN dollars and then eight at the daycare where i worked?

so, obviously, it's less to do with money, and more to do with class. maybe you think you're too classy to deal with poopie (which is where i say get another job), but i say i'm too classy to hand a parent a bag of poop!
Okay. I don't even feel the need to respond to parts of this. Reread the above responses by me. I DO shake the poop into the toilet. I DO clean poo from child and floor, cot, etc. I DO NOT rinse or scrub stuck on poop from underwear. You have my reasoning in the above posts.

Originally Posted by QualiTcare:
"$175 is unheard of here (4 year degree or not)."

175 is unheard of here too BECAUSE there are no daycare directors or workers who have a degree at all, much less a degree in the field.

the requirements are typically a GED and pass a background check.

so, if you DO have a degree in the field - there will be parents who value education and a small teacher/child ratio who will pay it.

the first parent who signed up with me said she was paying $186 at a "chain" daycare (the same one i used to work for) and they had too many kids, too much turnover, etc.

so, if someone will pay $175 (or more) to a daycare that keeps as many kids as they possibly, legally can - then why wouldn't you think they would pay you as much? i don't know how many kids you keep, but i guess the fact i only keep 4 may be part of the enticement since i actually have time to pay attention to their kids.
It seems you have a corner on the market in your area. We aren't all so fortunate. Degreed providers are more common here. We have at least 5 degreed home providers and I'm sure that there are more that I haven't heard about since not everyone brings their education up every chance they get. They charge at the top of the going rates I mentioned, $135. I'm not sure why they don't charge more. Perhaps it's too much competition or perhaps it's that they aren't in this for the money.