View Single Post
Play Care 03:17 AM 04-22-2016
Originally Posted by Unregistered:
Having worked in centers (not California) we did not let the kids up between 1 and 3 pm because of ratios. Kids were required to lay on their mats the entire time quietly. Eventually they would normally fall asleep out of boredom.
You need less adults caring for kids during nap time than other times of the day so during nap is when the teachers leave the building to get lunch and take their breaks. I always thought this was kinda dumb myself. In the event of a fire or emergency it is going to take the people still in the building much longer to actually wake up sleeping children and move them outside safely.
This is not the case in every State. In mine we were told that ratios are to be maintained no matter what the kids are doing.

I realize this is an old thread but I am dealing with a similar situation. I have a 3 1/2 yo DCB who is the first asleep and last awake every day. I've tried using gentle wake up techniques (pulling up the shades, turning off the fans, gently shaking his shoulder, etc) but it doesn't work. He is OUT. It's to the point where I have no choice but to take his mat, pillow and blanket away from him while he's half asleep. it's the only way he gets up and moving.

I think the issue is the parents still allow him to get up during the night, so he doesn't get good night sleep, then he tries to make it up here. But we have things to do and as it gets nicer out its not fair to the other kids to have to stay in because of he won't/can't wake up. And yes, I've talked to mom about it.

That said, if nap time is 12-2 then I do think having kids routinely still sleeping b 3-4 is off. In my state a child who is not asleep after a half hour must be allowed up and given something to do. Kids who no longer nap are not supposed to be laid down at all. Now, I'm clear that I can not take non-napping kids, so I usually don't have issues with parents over that. I get it, I love nap time too