View Single Post
Thriftylady 08:38 AM 07-06-2016
Originally Posted by permanentvacation:
This particular child also tried to boss me around when she first started and tried to boss my previous sub around. She only stopped trying that when I got very authoritative with her and let her know who the boss is and who is NOT the boss. Most of the kids that I get here are like that. I think it's from lack of parenting. I've seen many of my daycare parents completely obey the children. This is a very typical conversation between a child and his/her parents, As the parent arrives to get their child, the child will look at me and say, "Ms. So and so, we're going to get ice cream now." The parent will look at the child and say, "What? I don't have money for ice cream, no, we need to go home so you can play in your room. I'm tired" Then the child will command to the parent "I TOLD YOU that I was getting an ice cream today!" And then the parent will say "Oh yeah, you did tell me that this morning, didn't you? Okay, I guess we are going to get ice cream now."

The parent would not have been joking as if they are pretending to have forgotten that the child commanded to them that they were going to get ice cream. And the child is speaking to the parent as if he/she has a belt in their hand and is going to beat the living sh*t out of the parent if they don't obey them!

The whole time I'm standing there thinking 'OMG! I'd have to smack the mess out of that child if he were my kid! and Good Grief! No wonder he thinks he can talk to the other children and me like he does!' I'm just standing there completely shocked that the child just ORDERED the parent to do what he said and that the parent OBEYED!

But that's how probably 95% of my kids and parents relationships are. They are completely opposite of the way the relationship should be. The child is the authoritative, dictating parent and the parents obey the children's commands! The 5% of parents who do not allow the children to run the house, those are the couple of kids/families that I actually enjoy working with.
The relationship the kids have with their parents has nothing to do with the one they have with you. They CAN learn how to behave differently in different places. I am working on that with my SA kids right now. Once you and any sub you have set her straight, she will figure it out.