View Single Post
daycarediva 09:46 AM 09-13-2019
I heard the same at a provider conference over summer. How we need to improve quality, and recruit more childcare providers.

Of course in the very next segment, they had a state representative talking about the high cost of childcare on working families and how we should also keep rates lower or REDUCE RATES.

1. HIGHER QUALITY=thousands of dollars in mandatory equipment, additional staff, additional paperwork/outside of child care hours, of course. Additional expensive training.

2. Lower costs for parents.

When I brought up that points 1 & 2 together are not feasible during Q&A I was given a 'we hope to offer more subsidy...' what? How is that helping parents who don't qualify? or providers to become in compliance with additional regulations to achieve a BS 'higher star' rating?

Then I mentioned that the vast majority of ECE staff live below the poverty level and qualify for government programs themselves, and compared centers to Walmart with impossible customer service expectations and EVERYONE CLAPPED.

I just tried to open a center in our small village, we have a HUGE provider shortage. I am full with a waiting list and get multiple calls DAILY, I have a waiting list until summer of 2021, strictly because I won't enroll that far out. I am at the high end for our area, too and I refuse to accept subsidy because they never pay out.

The state came in and said my toilet stalls were 2" too short width wise. It was a historic building, so there was no wiggle room on remodeling. So yep, the state denied my license for 2", even though I could accommodate a handicap accessible bathroom in the office, it was the staff restroom, so that wasn't allowable.

3 months of work, would have had 6 full classrooms the month I opened with children CURRENTLY and STILL in illegal, out of ratio for licensed in some instances, potentially dangerous, child care situations.