View Single Post
TwinKristi 08:17 AM 09-09-2014
Originally Posted by NeedaVaca:
I feel like this is discrimination and I'm not sure exactly how you would go about running a daycare and refusing to care for children with special needs. I do understand what you are trying to say but comparing special needs children and using examples of teachers preferring different age groups (Kindergarten, High School, College, etc) are really different things IMO Each one of those teachers has to include students with special needs.

I also feel like all children learn differently, special needs completely aside. I have a certain number of DCK's and there always seems to be one that can't recognize ABC's or numbers when all the other kids can, they eventually catch up but that sounds like a child you wouldn't want in your care either because they aren't learning fast enough and keeping up with the others in your group.
Well unfortunately we all deal with discrimination in different settings, but we aren't usually told about it. If someone is not trained, skilled or desires to work with special needs or delayed children, they shouldn't work with them. If I tell a parent I've never worked with a preemie before and I'm worried about a baby getting seriously ill from even the common cold or flu with 5 other children around, that's not discrimination, it's just knowing your capabilities. You can try really hard but can't prevent the spread of the common cold and if a baby needs to have extra care in the prevention of that a nanny may be a better idea. If a child isn't capable of using the toilet at 3.5-4+ yrs old, that may be something some providers just don't have experience in. That's not their fault, it's just reality.
I don't blame this OP for feeling this way at all. I can completely relate. But part of it is control and pride. You have to throw those out the window. I realize with the guy I have here, no amount of singing the ABCs or doing circle time will correct his delays. His crying is often hard to handle and if someone didn't have patience and understanding of his limitations they may get frustrated. Perhaps snap! I read or hear stories on the news about special ed teachers abusing special needs children in classrooms and it really bothers me. Why even go to that field if you cant't handle it? It's not safe.