View Single Post
A Mama 09:56 AM 11-03-2008
I have a new situation with my 22 month old. I am hopeful that I am just a completely overreactive mother, but I am really stressed about this. My daughter has been attending the same daycare for over 1 year, it is in-home with 7 other children (give or take, depending on the day). Last week, while watching me pack her lunch for daycare, she began saying "No want to go to blank's house who is her daycare provider. I brushed it off and told her she would have a fun day with her friends, etc. but she became completely hysterical and would not finish breakfast. She continued like this all morning, refusing to put on her clothes, continually repeating "No want to go to blank's house" and my husband had to pry her out of my arms to take her into town for daycare while I left for work as well. She seems visibly anxious about having to go to daycare, yet when I pick her up she seems okay. I would say that her personality has changed though and she seems to obsess about having to go to daycare, once we assure her she is not going to daycare she settles down (on Friday-Monday when she is with family) but still repeats this over and over. Once she gets to daycare, she cries for awhile but according to the daycare provider she eventually settles down.

I figured this was a stage she would go through, but now we are over a week later and she wakes up first thing in the morning repeating "No want to go to blank's house" at least 15 times per day! She also began yelling "Don't hit me" around a week prior to this and my husband and I do not hit her ever, as you can imagine it is mortifying!! Everyone tells me it is normal for her to go through separation anxiety and saying things like this, since she may be hitting at daycare and the other kids are telling her not to hit which she is then repeating.

I am beginning to wonder if this really is normal as she also goes to my parent's house 1 day per week and she still loves her time with them and doesn't seem to have anxiety about staying with them or my husband. Should I be more proactive in moving her from this daycare, or are these totally normal things that 2 year olds go through? It is devastating for me and if my being able to stay home were an option, I would have quit working by now!