View Single Post
Abigail 08:41 PM 01-14-2011
The tricky part is having to read the fine print in the contract. Is it a very long contract? Do you have a copy of it? If not, make sure you call her and tell her you are coming over to get the copy so you have one. Also, make sure to save the text messages she sent you. If you must talk to her, it might be best to do it via email so you have a written (typed) proof. It really does come down to the contract wording, but most of the times providers have a clause in the contract stating something along the lines of...

"4. Termination

Trial Period
The first 2 weeks in my program is an adjustment or trial period. During this time, either the parent(s) or provider may terminate this contract immediately without written notice. After the 2 week trial period has been completed, a 2 week written notice by client is required to terminate this contract. Provider may terminate the contract at will without giving any notice.

Deposit
The client will pay a $***.XX deposit to cover the last 2 weeks of care, even if my rates are higher at that time. This fee will be due upon signing this contract."

This is what mine says and the bolded sentence means I (provider) is not required to give a two week notice, but may terminate at will. Did you pay a deposit that is put towards your two last weeks of care? If you did, then you certainly shouldn't have had to pay for this last week. Lastly, no matter what the outcome is, I would call your child care resource and referral (if this provider is licensed) and let them know you have a complaint you would like to file. It's also best to write down everything--just like you did in this post--for future reference to keep everything straight. Hope everything works out for you.