View Single Post
Unregistered 01:55 AM 07-10-2014
I am play based with a curriculum. Is that an oxymoron? I have a total child care dedicated space with play based centers. Blocks/construction/vehicles, kitchen, book corner, easel (I set out markers), puzzles and manipulatives, science area (very simple - like a few sea shells and magnifying glasses) general toys, sensory table, crayons/ markers/coloring books, & play doh.

I have a long, low table the kids eat at modeled after an Ikea table my husband built. It's pushed up to the wall. I've found that the puzzles, play doh, a manipulative game, markers/paper, and science area works well here. It still seats six and there is plenty space to eat.

I do circle time each day. It is about 5-7 minutes long. I do LOTS of flannel board stories. Books on CD are well loved too. We also do Weekly Reader. Kids love those. It's only $5.00 a year per child.

I offer creative art about two times per week. Very simple and open ended. A few times a year more crafty type. My favorite over the years has been kool-aid painting. Cut out a shape-say if the theme is spring it would be a flower shape and then sprinkle on dry unsweetened kool-aid. Kids paint it with water. It changes color, it smells great, they are fascinated, they love it!

I love to cook with kids too.

I've been setting up outdoor fun spaces with ideas from the Happy Hooligan blog. Things like the soap factory, flower soup kitchen, etc. it's just set on two kids picnic tables. They are only set up a day or two.