Thread: Curriculum
View Single Post
Annalee 12:12 PM 06-23-2015
Originally Posted by TXhomedaycare:
I recently decided that I would like to use a curriculum instead of putting everything together myself. I ordered a sample from the learning box and now have received offers from a ton of other curriculum companies. It can be pricey but I like the idea of getting everything I need sent to me but I am overwhelmed with all the options. I have a 1 year old and 4 year old and once daycare is over I can spend more time with my babies. I have 6 full time boys - 3 preschool age and 3 toddler age. I was thinking about doing it for both the toddlers and the preschoolers along with the christian one we use. Does anyone have any curriculum suggestions?
I take pieces of many curriculums and pick my own themes for the month. In the past, I have purchased funshine, mother goose, etc...but can't bring myself to pay anymore. I really liked funshine but didn't seem to use all that come in the box.

I am a play-based home child care so I set my learning centers up each month to meet what I will be talking about...i.e. in September we begin preschool and I will have an apple market, farm animals with barn set up in block area, and an All about me theme (not sure what dramatic play will go with that yet).

The books, displays in the room will go along with the themes as well. As for letters, shapes, numbers, etc...these are throughout my daycare room always. I do not drill or flashcard the kids but we learn through hands-on experiences.

The art center is all free expression as well except for the crafts we do for holidays. The manipulative center is changed monthly as well but does not necessarily meet the themes. We do calendar, weather, etc. each morning as a group but most learning takes place through the child's choice. I interact individually and in groups as the opportunity arises.