View Single Post
Childminder 04:39 PM 07-18-2011
Double check your Food Program rules cause we can serve home canned foods as long as we notify our parents that home processed food is/can be served.

Stuff like strawberries I freeze on cookie sheets then dump into a Gallon-size Freezer-Quality Ziploc, or the Gladware-type freezer-quality containers. Or upcycled yogurt, butter, etc containers.

Ziploc freezer bags.

Blueberries--the place we go pick them (I gotta remember to do that this weekend...) uses big plastic buckets. When we get home I just rinse the berries and dump them back in the bucket and stick the bucket in the freezer.

Do not rinse them, this will make the skins tough. (Extended family owns a blueberry farm.) Rinse them when you remove from the freezer.

Peaches, tomatoes--I blanch them and take the skin off. peaches I cut into chunks and freeze on cookie sheets and then put in bags/containers like strawberries. Tomatoes I cook down into sauce.

If you wash and core tomatoes and freeze whole in ziplocs, you can just slide the skins off when you thaw slightly and add to sauces or soups, etc. Or you can put the entire tomato into a blender and make juice or cook down into sauce. There are so many nutrients in the skin.

Apples all get turned into chunky applesauce.

Apples can be peeled and sliced and frozen in the right sized amounts (4 cups)and brought out of the freezer to use in pies and cobblers. Does not matter that they will turn brown, they do when you cook them anyway.

Stuff like Zucchini, I shred and freeze in containers, perferably in useful quantities (like, if I need 2 cups for bread, I freeze in 2-cup increments).