View Single Post
Abigail 02:57 PM 08-09-2010
Originally Posted by MommyMuffin:
where do the children do arts and crafts in your home set ups? I dont have a lot of space and I am worried about my kitchen table, walls ect getting drawn on. I was thinking about putting a vinyl table cloth on the floor and then let them do crafts there but then I worry about the younger ones <12m wanting to "play" too.

Do you have another table that the children use in another room/basement or even an outside table? If you have nice weather and really messy-potential crafts, I would recommend using a table/picnic table outside in the shade! You could also check rummage sales, thrift shops, and check out Craigslist and other online second-hand sites for a coffee table or basic wooden table. This way, you can use the coffee table at it's current height or have a wooden table and just cut off the bottoms of the legs to shorten it.

If you want to use your kitchen table and save the space, get a heavy duty plastic table cover to put over it during craft time. Make sure the edges hang over enough to secure down to prevent kids from pulling on it and moving it and also to keep them from wanting to use their scissors on the edges. I would also move the table away from the wall if it's nearby so they don't just turn and mark with their crayons or anything on it either. Keep a magic eraser handy and you'll survive!