View Single Post
misol 10:42 AM 03-29-2010
OK, I know I am going to catch flack for this but here goes. It sounds to me like it was an honest mistake and the teacher dropped the baby accidentally. The teacher was TOTALLY at fault for not supporting the baby properly while carrying it but it was still an accident. I don't think there was anything malicious intended. After the accident happened, the daycare took the proper steps in documenting the incident and calling the parents immediately so that the baby could be seen by the pediatrician right away. I can only imagine how many babies are dropped and it never gets reported to the parents. I feel the OP's pain and she has every right to be upset, but she probably has no legal grounds to sue since the baby checked out OK. Since I am sure that her trust in this provider is broken, she should definitely find a new caregiver. If the teacher didn't get fired, she should be moved to a room with older children or assigned to kitchen duty!

Now don't get me wrong, as a parent, I would be beyond FURIOUS if someone dropped my baby but the reality is that it's VERY easy to drop a baby if you're not super careful. Babies twist and jerk and turn so suddenly that all it takes is a split second and the baby is on the floor before you know what happened. I have been fortunate enough to have never dropped a child before but I can tell you that I've had a couple of "near misses" with my own children