View Single Post
Abigail 08:36 PM 04-28-2011
I agree to charge the full weekly rate and enforce late fees because the 14+ hours is so long away from her children. She could always choose to be a sahm and open a daycare if she wanted. What is the point of having children if you can't spend time with them and raise them? I understand being a single mom--my sister is a single mom of 4 and she works 3 12-hour shifts, but wakes up at the crack of dawn to be with her children all day on her days off and she hired a nanny to help with her hours. You do what you can as a single mom and that doesn't mean you act like you change someone's daycare business.

Did you set rates and have her sign a contract? I know you said she had it, but you obviously need to have the contract and she needs a copy of your handbook and contract herself. If it costs too much, you should recommend she apply for state assistance, but until then full time rate or the rate you're okay with. I'm not sure when you're going to raise rates, but September is when a lot of provider's do it and you can always raise hers a little then if things are difficult. She realy shouldn't get a discount. I'm sure if you offered hours until 5 pm, etc, she would find a friend or neighbor to handle the next few hours. I wish you the best of keeping a backbone from the beginning of your business days!