View Single Post
Blackcat31 07:24 AM 06-14-2011
Originally Posted by sweetpeamommy:
I have 3 spots to fill if I don't take them (2 if they stay since the 7 yr old is after school care). I was a lifeguard, swim instructor, tutor, after school counselor, childcare provider in centers and have a masters in library science and have been a librarian. Honestly I don't think she is going to find anyone else. She was spoiled by the care center she had them in since they were open till 8 pm and had a $25 daily rate .. . but they had 66 violations. I do have a contract and yes she has it. I looked at all the other repudible care places around and there are none that would do what she wants for the hours she needs. Not for two counties. So I am kinda like should I call her bluff and say I need more money (I know she won't find what she wants) or at least lay down the law?
In this situation you have two choices:

Take her (and all the red flags/issues she comes with) because you need the money. The results being you will be at her beck and call because you will be held financially hostage....OR

Do NOT take her because she is not willing to agree to YOUR policies/payment rules etc. The results being you will still be in charge and can hold out until a family who is willing to work with and respect you comes along.

This is the biggest 'No-No' IMHO for newbies...you take whoever comes along because you need the money and then hate the job because you have a family that is not a good fit....

My advice, don't even go there at all. If you do, you are just setting yourself up for trouble. I know it is hard when you first open and are trying (especially in this economy) to make ends meet, but seriously, if you take people for the money and not for the match, then you kind of can't complain about the bad treatment you get in return...after all, the parent is only there too because of the money (cheap rates). I would rather have clients who shop for quality NOT cost.

Starting a small business takes time and effort. I don't think I made a profit the first two years I was open. It is hard and it requires a bit of perserverance and willingness to stick up for yourself in regards to goals and what it is you want from running a small business. Providers are all in this business for their own reasons and no two are alike, however if you search and read on this forum a bit you will see the biggest complaint is providers putting up with bad behavior because of the need of money. I know we all need it and we all have to feed our families. But for the life of me, I will never understand why people are so willing to sacrifice their own sanity, self-respect, morals, or values etc just because a family is writing a check out at the end of the week.

Call her bluff but be ready to have her walk away. If she doesn't then be ready to have a strong backbone or she will have the upperhand.