View Single Post
mommyneedsadayoff 06:10 AM 10-11-2018
Originally Posted by Ac114:
This mom is not working and wants to leave her fresh 1 year old who’s never been to care before from open to close. 7am-5:30pm. To me, that’s insane. I don’t want to care for her child for 10.5 hrs when she is not working... so what do I reply? Even if she was working I don’t want to care for a child that long. Am I wrong here?
I don't think you're wrong! I'm glad you got it worked out with Mom! I make it very clear to parents that I provide care for Working Families. Almost all of my families have been word of mouth, so it's never been an issue, because they're seeking me out so they can go to work. I don't know where all these families are that can pay for daycare while not working, but they really don't exist in my area. For me, I set my daycare cost based on the parent working. If the parent is not working, they do not get the luxury of my daycare price. They get my babysitter price, which is much higher. Kids are expensive. If you want all the free time you can get away from them, you're going to pay a lot of money to me to get it. So much money, that you will probably not take me up on it anymore. I only care for a small amount of kids, so I'm sure with a bigger group it could be harder to manage, so I definitely think it's not a one size fits all type thing. For me, it's never been a problem, because like I said, parents around here are not going to pay $700 a month for daycare if they don't need it. I've actually taken more of a drop-in care approach these days, because I have a second job. I found that it makes me much happier than having kids full time. It is a new market of parents, because I'm dealing with people who work odd hours, but I enjoy the freedom it gives me. With my second job, if I'm tired or just need a day off, I don't accept any children for that day. So far, it's been working pretty well. It's sort of my exit plan. When I'm ready to be totally done, I just won't be taking on any more kids, but I dont feel pressure to make any moves before I'm ready because parents are not relying on me 50 hrs a week. Hope it all works out with this family!