View Single Post
FrustratedMommy 10:11 AM 03-13-2012
Originally Posted by Greenplasticwateringcans:
I honestly do not understand the fury.

If you do not like a policy at a daycare don't sign up there.

If you find out a daycare policy is not what you want for your child then switch providers.

It really is that simple.
I wonder Greenplasticwateringcans, if you have ever had to try and find a daycare that accepts kids who are awake.

When I was on maternity leave, I read all about choosing a daycare, what questions to ask, what to look for. When I conceived my first child, I put my name on all the center's in my area. I got called back for one of them when my child was six months old and was offered a spot. I accepted the spot gave them a void check, signed the contract, jumped through all the hoops, then was called back to say a sibling who has priority over outside children took the spot but I was first on the waitlist. I got called back 4 years later after I had already paid for the preschool for my daughter. None of the other centers called. They all had 2-5 year waitlists.

When I started looking for an in home daycare. The first few I asked the questions, then was told she had 20 kids lined up for the spot and she would get back to me after she was finished all her interviews. We did not get the spot. I asked too many questions I think. Eventually I changed my approach to look like an accommodating mother and found a spot. Then tried to hold on to it, but alas you have my story.

In the second daycare, I was upfront about my needs, she agreed to meet them, then kicked my child out because she got tired of meeting them.

Do you really think it is a good idea to switch providers every time there is a policy that you don't like? How do you think your child feels to be bounced from daycare to daycare? My child developed a fear of rejection due to getting kicked out of two daycares. That is partially my fault, as I tried to back up the daycare lady rather than just switching her when she started to complain, but every daycare I have ever had my child in has complained about something. One daycare complained if my child's poop was less than solid, not taking into consideration if you left her sitting in a poopy diaper, the poop then gets smooshed and it looks less than solid. She prefered my child to cry during bowel movements due to constipation. I did move her from that place. I think every time you change your child's daycare, it is hard on the child. The child makes friends, the child gets comfortable. Changing every few months is not good for the child. So you try to make things work and hope that the solution will remedy itself. Sometimes it does, sometimes it doesn't.

The fury is because this is our children at stake, and every mother is emotional about her baby. Every working mother wants a safe place for her child where she will be loved and cared for and treated as an individual. When that is not available, what do you do? Quit your job, uproot your family, sell your house, move to a scummy neighborhood and hope your child doesn't get into trouble like the neighborhood kids, but just for another couple of years until they are in school. Of course then you can't afford a house in your old neighborhood, you can't find a new job in this economy and your child is now stuck going to school with bad influences. That doesn't really sound like a good solution to me. Every working mother has guilt about going to work and not being with their child more, but we want to provide the best possible life. Plus, I want my kid to have friends when she starts school and know how to socialize so she won't get teased like I did. I had a stay at home Mom and had no idea what to do with other kids.