View Single Post
Leanna 03:13 PM 09-12-2013
Originally Posted by Heidi:
I usually think like you, Lala, but this time, I respectfully disagree.

At no time in any of my training was I led to understand that I should report every injury to CPS. I was taught that there must be a suspicion of abuse, and to me, a single injury does not support a suspicion of abuse.

I would also not a agree that a report that turns out fine is fine for everyone. A false report could cost GMA and the family legal fees, time with their child, and a lot of hassle. It could cost the OP a childcare client, and the little girl stability. Just like when our dc parents get pissed off and make false accusations, just because they're false and proven "unsubstantiated" does not make it all go away.

If there are further incidents or other reasons to suspect abuse, then by all means, OP should call.
I agree. While one must always report suspected abuse, it is important to keep in mind that kids do get hurt. They do weird things, dangerous things, and don't have good judgement. Heck, we all know that kids get hurt doing normal things sometimes!
Also, a report, when not true and/or made without proper evidence, can deeply hurt a family, financially, emotionally, personally. It can affect their job etc. And even if it is found "unfounded" it still stays on record for many, many years. Whether we want to admit it or not, the system is deeply flawed. While no one should hesitate to report suspected abuse, everyone should be careful of reporting normal (or even freak) childhood booboos.