View Single Post
Blackcat31 05:38 AM 08-12-2015
Originally Posted by DaveArmour:
I wonder how much of it is because people just don't get childcare as a business. If someone calls an electrician the job is pretty definable (lights come on, no sparks fly) and the bill is itemized (parts, supplies, labor). To many people childcare is something nebulous that anyone can do where the money paid is just to "play with kids" In my shop I have a set formula for pricing but I get asked questions about pricing/ cost/ profit all the time. Because they don't get it as a business. I flew to Atlanta to a show years ago next to an accountant who practically asked for my W2 and income/expense sheets. Sometimes people are just too darn nosy.
I think the answer to that would be about 99%.

I think most, if not all problems with families IS that they simply do not understand the business.

I've heard on more than one occasion that the number one qualifier to being a child care provider is having "babysat since they were 10"...or something along those lines.. I have NO idea where that thought process came from because I KNOW this job is nothing like babysitting when I was a kid.