View Single Post
midaycare 10:26 AM 11-15-2015
Originally Posted by Lisa's Little Lambs:
Such an interesting, albeit old, thread.
As a child, I continued to shower with my sister til we were both in high school. We were best friends, and only had a one bathroom house.
As a mother, I haven't hit a stage where Im uncomfortable. My eldest is turning 9 this month. My only son is still a baby, but I imagine it'll be many years til I stop being naked around him. Whenever he is uncomfortable.
My husband, otoh, stops around the age of 2. He also asks our daughter to get dressed quickly. Prude.

I feel that the 'stop when they start asking questions' just continues the idea that our bodies are bad (and I strongly feel that they AREN'T). Quick! Hide the skin! Don't say "penis" in any context!
lol
My 5yo knows that if we are talking about changing her brothers diaper, saying penis is totally fine. If we are in the middle of a restaurant, it's not appropriate.
ITA with everything here. My husband is also a "prude", haha. He was raised strict Dutch and it is hard to get a hug from any of his family!!! I am the polar opposite.

If you take the fascination away about differences and body parts, it just becomes second nature. My DS won't go around acting immature about his body part, like some of his friends. I also found it really helpful when DS came to me earlier this year when he had questions about the birds and bees. Some older boy gave him mis-information, so we had to have "the talk". DS feels like we can talk about things, because body parts and birds and bee stuff isn't embarrassing or something to hide.

But I'm not advocating for bathing and showering together. It just works for us. And we certainly don'tdo it all the time anymore. Mama wants her privacy to think once in a while!