View Single Post
Sprouts 06:35 PM 03-07-2013
Originally Posted by brittburk:
Okay, so I have no qualms about approaching my SIL to get the care switched from their home to mine but I'm looking for a good way to say it? Our original contract (which has already been thrown out the window with the add-on infant) stated that I would give two weeks notice if I decided to quit so...yeah. I also decided to get more into the daycare scene and looking into getting licensed and such. I've also offered a few mamas I know the ability to call me on week days for drop-in care if they need it in a bind so here is what I have:

Dear SIL,

While I really enjoy watching the kiddos I have reached the point where I feel it is necessary to ask to have the childcare moved to my home. There are a variety of reasons for this: First and foremost, I would like to open up a spot for drop-in care for a few mamas I have been talking to and I need to do this from my own home.

Another reason is after speaking to several experienced daycare providers I wanted to try to watch Niece in a new environment. Her behavior of crawling around and crying while looking for you breaks my heart. Others have suggested that having her in a totally different environment can help.

And the final major reasons are simply safety-related. Nephew has a LOT of tiny toys and no matter how hard I try they always end up back out. This is nobody's fault, its just part of having an older kid, but I have pulled small toys out of both Daughter and Nieces's mouths repeatedly, as well as grout from the cracked tiles. As vigilant as I am it is really tough to keep small things out of baby mouths when one is crawling one way and the other is toddling the other way! I feel like I could provide more secure care if I had them at my house where there are no tiny bits for little hands to grab.

I realize that it would mean driving the kiddos to and from my house in the mornings/afternoons but I would be willing to provide both breakfast and lunch for them as well as get them dressed out of their pajamas in order to cut down on worrying about rushing. I would also continue at my same rate of $25 a day for Nephew even if he is here for 5 1/2-6 hours and we could work out something for Niece. I will continue to give daily updates on what we did, meals, snacks, and potty/diapers. I really hope this is able to work because I absolutely love being able to watch Niece and Nephew, they are a ton of fun and Daughter loves the playtime. I also totally understand if this won't work for you and I can continue to come to your house for another two weeks, as per our original contract.

Sincerely,
Me

Anything you would change or suggest?
I think its good, the only thing I would change is getting them dressed out of their pajamas, after a while, I assure you will get tired of doing this and start loathing the fact that they are too lazy to dress their own children.

These small toys are a HUGE safety factor, what if one of the children choke on it tomorrow???? Its not worth the risk, if they decide not to continue with your services but still want you for next two weeks...then I would make it on YOUR TERMS and tell them the small toys CANNOT be around. For the safety of their baby and yours???!!

Its not fair if a child dies or has to have emergency CPR. And it obviously adds too much stress for you. I know how you feel, my moms house is like this, I call it "The BOoby Trap" I am constantly stressed , chasing around my 2 year old bc he gets into every little hazard. SO I couldn't even imagine being there for more then a few hours.

Hope that helps, good luck