View Single Post
Heidi 08:38 AM 10-08-2013
I had a girl years ago who was a little, doe-eyed doll. I also had a big, burly girl a month or two older. They were both about 18 months.

There was constant "ehhhhhh" whenever the bigger girl got too close to the little one. She'd claim (no speech yet, but she'd cry and look accusing) that brute was picking on her poor little self.

I decided to take a step back and just observe what was going on. I realized very quickly that the "little doll" was actually the instigator. She would purposely go to the bigger child's space and body check her FIRST. Then, the bigger girl would retaliate.

After this, I gave them a little room to work it out, and when the little one would give me that doe-eyed "she hurt me", I'd tell her "Tell her you don't like it then", and keep my tone benign.

Guess what? A week later, it all magically stopped. No one was getting attention for it.

OBVIOUSLY, we can't let anyone really hurt other children. But, I think sometimes they do need to figure it out a little bit...with help.

Little doll left my program, but would visit periodically. She's the same child who taught HERSELF to read before her 3rd birthday.