View Single Post
Blackcat31 11:26 AM 11-24-2015
Originally Posted by NoMoreJuice!:
I called him mom and asked her to pick up. She said she couldn't, but his dad could and she would send him over. Here's the tricky part. I told her that wouldn't be a good idea considering the high state of anger dcb was in. I feel that dad is a huge influence in how this boy reacts to situations (but tactfully didn't mention this to mom). I then asked her to check with her insurance and find a good counselor that can help us sort through these problems.
I totally understand where you are coming from but honestly I think that is crossing the line a bit.

The childs father IS his father and if mom sends dad to pickup, I don't think you should be able to say no.

I do agree that the parents should seek counseling but again, I don't think that is your place to say. Asking her to check her insurance is something I would never in a million years have said to a parent. Personally I find that way too personal....but I don't know your relationship with this mom so..

I think you are doing the best you can with the child and his behaviors but I also think you shouldn't make exceptions for him no matter what you know about his home life as that isn't helping anyone.

I am NOT saying everyone grows up with a tough beginning like this little guy (and again I commend you for your efforts) but I think it's better to teach him to fit into the world than to adjust the world to accommodate him. NOT saying you are but it seems kind of like that based on some of what you are already doing.

Its hard. I understand that. I feel compassion and empathy for lots of situations that occur that I am aware of but bottom line is I wont tolerate physical behavior towards me or anyone in my home. period.

I think suggesting to mom that the child's receive some sort of counseling is as far as I would go outside of care (inside of care, I think you are doing great with what you've said...talking about and identifying emotions etc) I'd also continue calling for pick up every time he has a tantrum that is beyond something he can control and any time he gets physical.

Other than that, I'd stay out of it.

Again, I don't know your relationship with the family so...