View Single Post
daycare 01:53 PM 02-09-2011
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
I am wondering since we have had several threads and posts about teaching and doing curriculum. Of those providers who buy or plan a curriculum that you follow on pretty routine daily schedule, do you get paid more than the going rate for your area?

I ask because I have been in this business for some time now and every year I plan a curriculum, pay loads of money for it, spend an enormous amount of my time outside of my regular hours sorting, buying, planning and organizing my curriculum and I am seriously starting to rethink the entire point of doing all this. I advertise as a "pre-school" like others do thinking that parents are looking for all the 1,2,3's and ABC's classroom type learning and I really feel as though 99.9% of my current parents are really only looking for a loving, caring, safe environment for their child. They aren't all that concerned about the "schooling" part of it because they all know their kid will get it in Kindy or they will learn from their parents and sibs or they will possibly even pull their child from daycare and put them in an actual "preschool" center as a pp vented about.

We have a good supply of venting on here in regards to parents not caring what craft items and projects their child did during the day and leaving most correspondence and daily notes in the cubby untouched. So I am wondering what the point of doing a preschool curriculum with dck's is when we, as providers, are collectively just trying to get the parents all to pay on time, remember our house rules, drop off/pick up on time, respect us and support us as we assist their child in learning developmentally appropriate skills such as toilet training, eating healthy foods, napping quietly and using self-help skills.

Another poster got me thinking about how tough it is to fit all this stuff into one day and I have to say, why are we trying? If we are not licensed to teach pre-school and are licensed as family childcare providers, why are we all trying so hard to do so much more?

I would think in this crazy, two parent working long hours, too many extra curricular activities and all world, kids would benefit much more (and have less challenging behaviors) if we only focused on the basic necessities and just played with them. No scheduled craft time, no strict routines to follow...just on the floor, hands-on fun stuff....lots of love and nurturing. No stress over trying to get Timmy to figure out why a "b" and a "d" are not the same.....

I went to a "NO TV" childcare in December and my dck's have been playing in ways I did not know they could so I am seriously thinking about just having a "Basics Only" childcare. I don't get paid any more than the regular going rate and all the families I have enrolled in the last few years are only looking for someone they can trust who will put her kids needs (the basic ones) ahead of her own. No one has been looking for a teacher or a tutor. I still will have all the activities and supplies I always have had but it will be up to them when and how they play with them. dck #1 might paint at 9:00 am while dck #2 might not paint until 3:00 pm. No structured activity...do what you want when you want. Just meals and nap/rest time on schedule.

Two rules will apply;
1. Play nicely/respectfully.
2. Pickup after yourself.

Learning will still be part of our day, just in a completely non-structured, non-routine, stress-free manner.

I always wanted to be licensed to run an actual preschool, but I am not. I am a licensed FAMILY CHILD CARE provider. I do not get paid any more than the regular going rate set by our county. I feel this will be less stressful and eliminate my need for the curriculum drama I go through every year.

Just wondering what everyone else's thoughts are on this....
I know exactly what you mean. I teach here and it most, not all, but most of my parents just want a safe place. I look at it like this. I am not going to change what I offer. I keep moving forward everyday. I know in my heart of hearts that these children are learning and I really dont care if their parents appreciate it or not. Some of my parents will go out of their way to tell me wow I am impressed, while others keep their kid out until midnight on a week night and then the kid sleeps all day long...
I teach becuase there is nothing better than seeing a child learn from your lessons....

If I were you, I would charge a monthly curriculum fee, even if it is only $5.00 per family. This might make you feel a little better too...???