View Single Post
MarinaVanessa 09:05 AM 04-23-2013
I am a huge stickler about my policies and have since learned (from when I first started) to be extremely detailed in my contract and policies. Here are some ideas for you to maybe think about adding to your contract and/or policiy handbook.

In my Contract:

Two-week Deposit
a. Before child care will commence the client is required to give a non-refundable two (2) week deposit equivalent to that of two (2) weeks tuition payment. This deposit will be used to pay for the final two weeks of child care upon termination willing that a proper notice of termination is given. Please review your handbook for the details of what defines a proper notice of termination. This will take care of anyone expecting a deposit back if they decide not to start with you (as another provider had an issue with)

Payment
b. Fees are charged for the week and are based solely on enrollment, not on attendance. There are no deductions in fees regardless of whether a child is present or not. Fees are paid 52 weeks in a year. This will take care of a client trying to give you written notice in the middle of the week. If they give you a termination notice on a Wednesday then they must still pay you for that week, the following week AND the 3rd week because you charge weekly, not daily.

Termination Policy
b. After the initial two (2) week trial period the client is required to give a two (2) week written notice of termination to end this contract.
i. Payment is required for the final two (2) weeks’ termination period whether the child attends the daycare program or not.
ii. The two week deposit that the client pays upon enrollment will be used toward payment for the final two weeks of childcare willing that a proper notice of termination notice is given.
c. Notices of termination are only accepted on Fridays and cannot be given on days that the daycare is closed. This will keep the confusion down about what days/weeks a client must pay for.
d. Emails and texts are not an accepted form of notices of termination. This is to make sure that they actually give you a paper term notice.
e. The final two weeks of child care cannot overlap onto days that the daycare is already scheduled to close such as the childcare provider’s vacation.

In my Contract:

Termination-Parent Withdrawal
Two full weeks of advance notice are required in writing to cancel a client’s contract. Termination notices are only accepted on Fridays and notices cannot be given on days that the daycare is closed such as holidays or during the childcare provider’s vacation.
The child’s final two weeks of care cannot overlap onto the child care provider’s vacation time or days closed for holidays. If this occurs, the time that the daycare is closed will not count towards the child’s final two weeks.

For example: if a client gives their two weeks’ notice one week before the childcare provider is to go on vacation then the following week of childcare will count as one week towards the child’s final two weeks of care and the second week of the child’s final two weeks of childcare will begin again the week after the childcare provider returns from her vacation.
Payment for the child’s final two weeks of childcare is required regardless of whether or not the child attends daycare during that time.
The security deposit will be used towards paying for the child’s final two weeks of childcare providing that a proper written two week notice was given.

If there are outstanding fees owed, the client will be financially responsible for paying those moneys owed immediately otherwise late payment fees will be added until the balance is paid in full.

If proper notice of termination is not given the security deposit is forfeited and any outstanding fess, tuition fees and late payment fees as well as the final two weeks of childcare will still be owed by the client.

A proper notice of termination requires the current date, the reason for the notice, the child’s name, the last date of attendance, the client’s full name, a signature and a minimum of two weeks’ notice. Below is a sample of a simple notice of termination:

Yes I really have a picture in my handbook of what I need my 2 week notice to look like. And yes I have a lot of "fluff" in my handbook BUT it has saved my booty on many occasions.