View Single Post
rhymia1 02:55 PM 07-07-2011
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
This is a tough situation to be in but in all honesty it isn't your job to only serve what they like. If that were true we would all be flipping burgers like McD's for lunch. It is our job as providers to offer good healthy foods and if the kids (like your "chip boy") doesn't like it then that is his choice to not eat, but I guarantee you that if you just keep on serving good healthy stuff he will start to eat eventually.

Just keep serving the good stuff and don't worry about who likes what. If you have eaters who eat more than your food program guidelines say is the right serving size and can't afford to keep up with such big eaters, then I would re-think the whole way you do meals and snacks and have the parents start chipping in or donating.
I agree. I always say that my job is to serve healthy foods, their job is to eat (or not). Like others have said I always have a protein (low fat cheese, cottage cheese, boiled eggs, even lean turkey breast slices etc.) to go with the fruit or veggie that I serve. I rarely serve breads/muffins/cookies unless we have baked them as a group. I will say that "I'm hungry" is often a euphamisum for "I'm bored" and it may be that your kids need a change up in activity or some more structured/provider led ones. Just a thought.
I had one child this year who would literally sit at the table and take nothing all day long. That was his choice. But he also learned that I wasn't going to serve junk regardless of how hungry he said he was.