View Single Post
Pepperth 05:35 AM 09-22-2015
Originally Posted by Indoorvoice:
Is so weirdweird! My husband was traveling for work and the guy next to him on the plane was bragging to him that his 4 year old was doing algebra and could read whole books. He asked my husband if our kids had any special talents and my husband said "nope, they're just NORMAL kids." My husband said the guy looked at him with a sympathetic look. No one is happy with normal anymore! I see it in my circle of friends. We all have 1-5 year olds. They are always carting their kids to all these special classes and sport practices and the kids have ZERO downtime. It's all so the parents can tell us, "Tommy can read chapter books in kindergarten!" It's ALL for the parents. I refuse to play into that game.
I had a co-worker in the corporate world whose son was the same age as mine. She was always bragging about how he was potty-trained so early, learning to write his name at 2, etc, etc. It made me feel horrible at the time, even though I didn't even believe that her son was doing half the stuff she was bragging about. Its like peer pressure for adults. I'm happy to report though that my son at 5 has an insatiable love of learning.