View Single Post
Former Teacher 04:13 PM 03-21-2011
Originally Posted by jen:
I've never understood why it bothers people to make it a little easier to some people who may not understand the language. Really, so what? It isn't harming anyone to have the labels in two languages, so why not?

When my Great Grandmother moved here from Italy, she didn't speak English, but her children did, and their children did. Your ancestors probably didn't speak English when they arrived in this country either. The first generation citizens may never learn the language, but their children will!

When I was in Greece & Croatia last year, pretty much everything was in their native language and English. They also teach all their children in grade school to speak English. Whenever I had a question, I just found a kid!
I don't have a problem with all the different languages. All our ancestors came from other countries.

However I DO have a problem when I pick up a box of cereal and the ingredient label is marked with English and Spanish. What about the Germans living here? What about the French living here? Etc etc etc...

I just feel that if I was living in another country, I would expect their labels to be in their native language. It just seems unfair that as an English speaking country, we have to have everything in Spanish as well. Esp. when there are other languages spoken here.