View Single Post
NEDaycare 12:38 PM 10-28-2008
What will happen in your particular situation cannot be predicted. If you can hire a helper to actually open it for you, that would be ideal. However, I found that I was not operating at full capacity until about six months into my business. I had three kids committed to show up on day #1, and only one ended up doing so. The difference was that I got a deposit from the first family which I took off of their first week of tuition. The second family with the two kids did not show up and I later found out why. Their then-current provider was NOT making them pay in advance, and they planned to stiff her the last two weeks of daycare tuition. But, they wanted me to let them pay in arrears, too and when I declined, they found other daycare. It's common around here for that to happen. It's also common for those that rely on the State to pay for their care (or those posing as a family qualified for those payments) to say that their caseworker will mail the authorization. Then you watch their child for a week or two, no authorization ever comes, and you call the caseworker only to find out that they never filled out the paperwork or the family is not eligible, and you just provided 2 weeks of free care.

I'd recommend getting a deposit, and requiring any State pay authorizations be received by you prior to providing care. Also, if you dont hire a certified helper, I'd be prepared to live without luxury items for quite some time before you get up and going.