View Single Post
ruthkeith 01:14 AM 11-25-2014
Originally Posted by SJT43015:
Have any of you had a child that absolutely shows no interest in learning? I'm trying to have a structured learning time for a few hours a day doing various things. I watch a 3 year old girl and no matter what I do, she will not sit and participate. We've worked a lot with my 2.5 year old son and he knows his letters and numbers really well.

When I try and work on letters and numbers with her, she just says she doesn't know. I even do three letters at a time with flashcards and go back to the first letter and she says she doesn't know and gets up and won't sit for circle time.

I'm really at a loss at how to teach her. Her mom said that they have foam letters and she'll throw a few in at bath time and work with her, but it doesn't seem like she's picking anything up.

I really want to help her prepare for preschool like I do with my own son, but I've never met a child who is so resistant to learn anything at all.

Any suggestions? Maybe something fun that got the kids wanting to learn. Right now, I'm just trying to get her to do letter and number recognition to start.
This is really tough! But I have had almost similar problem and tried a number of fun activities like story telling, songs, games and after sometime he started taking interest. So, I would suggest the same things for this little girl. May be if something catches her interest she will start learning fast. All the best.