View Single Post
Josiegirl 02:18 AM 03-01-2021
PP said it all, right down to the advice of having someone with you when you confront dcm.
You sound 100% professional in this business and have gone above and beyond what any (sane) parent would expect. As Pandalover said, there are wonderful parents out there and being a home provider gives you the opportunity of being able to create a group of dcks who get along as a family, some days good some not so good but always worth sticking together. I worked almost 40 years and the first 20 were as you described. More support in this business came along, I gained more control of who I'd accept or not, developed my handbook/contract/policies, etc.
I'd hand her a written termination letter with the end date, along with telling her it's not working out and your dc isn't a good fit for her child. End of discussion. She should know by now the whys of what's not working.

Every dcparent has the opportunity of trashing their provider on social media. 'Tis the way of the world now. Take the higher road and ignore it if you can. Know in your own heart you did the best you could. Also let your state know about this dcm who could raise issues for you. A head's up to them is always a good idea in the case of a dcparent gone crazy.

I'm not sure I could give the 2 week notice because it sounds like it'd be he!! to pay for those last long days, having to see her every day. If you know she's breached her contract, I'd be done with her. It sounds like she did with many policies. Do you have a list of policies that would enable you to immediately term? I had a list of certain things, such as the dope and drop, nonpayment, or destruction from the child to other children or property, which warranted immediate dismissal, including but not limited to, and at my discretion.

PLEASE DO NOT feel bad that they'd have to search for dc again. They brought it on themselves and should've known better. That is their problem and on them. Just keep thinking and asking yourself how this is benefiting your child and your family. That's what comes first, now and always.

As far as quitting dc, that's a completely personal decision for you and your family to make. If working with children is truly what you want to do, maybe take a step back, restructure your dc program, your approach, handbook of policies, advertising. Then start anew or in a different niche working with children.

Good luck and hope it all works out for you!!