View Single Post
makap 11:51 AM 07-11-2013
Originally Posted by JoseyJo:
Thank you so much Nanny De!

I have a little one who just turned 3 yo. Every time he gets redirected or has to do anything he doesn't want he starts crying "mommy, mommy" and does a little fit for about 30 sec to a minute, then does whatever I want. - It happens at least 20 times every day! Today when he started it I said "mommy, mommy, mommy" (not in a teasing way or anything, just saying the word) and he looked at me like I was crazy, then just did what I asked! Every time he started it up again I started saying or singing the word. He only tired it a handful of times, then he just started doing what I wanted happily without having to do the cry/mommy thing first.

Thanks so much!
To be honest, I have used this in the past for example with whining. In a whiny voice back I have said, I can't understand you.....or if a child has done the pretend cry thing with no tears to get their way, I would pretend to cry back and it does work. But to nickname him “you hurt me" and to call him that every day all day long and pray the kids join in and refer to him as "you-hurt-me" too? That phrase being the number one phrase at my house until it completely lost it's meaning? I do not agree with this.

I have to say that I love you and almost all of your advice nannyde :-) but this I could not do.