View Single Post
PitterPatter 10:14 AM 07-28-2012
Originally Posted by Sugar Magnolia:
Meeko, I think there is hope. Maybe these kids will have a better economic situation than their parents did and not have to rely on assistance. Its not those kids fault their parents needed help. I'd hate to assume these kids will grow up to also be on assistance, if that safety net even exists in the future. Maybe those kids will remember the help they received and "pay it forward" in their adulthood. Maybe I am just looking for the bright side here.

Dave, don't mean to come down on you, I know you are struggling in life too, but its just not kind to compare the needy to animals. Correct me if I am wrong, but on our judgement day, are we not first judged on if we fed the poor? Wasn't Jesus the advocate for the poor, the sick, the powerless and the downtrodden? I don't pretend to know scripture, but I did read the words in red in my family bible. Judge not, lest we be judged?

I think the whole debate over welfare belongs on the news/politics blogs. I try not to politicize anything having to do with children. I'm thinking Meeko was trying to make the point these kids are learning how to scam the state, not work very hard for things they want, grow up feeling "entitled". Perhaps. But maybe not. I know where the other posters are coming from, that it seems unfair and a waste of tax $$. Yes, there is abuse of the system. Yes,.sometimes we as providers see waste and abuse. But I feel it is the state's problem to ensure people aren't cheating and really do qualify, not ours. Our job is to treat children on assistance the same way we treat kids of the wealthy, without bias or judgement. (not directed at you Meeko) They are just kids, they didn't ask to be on assistance. Personally, as a provider who accepts state subsidy, I am just glad these kiddos are with me, and not being watched by some crappy boyfriend, or a grandparent who can't give good care sure to illness or.age, or some sub-par babysitterwho is barely providing basic supervision for the $10 a day they are getting paid. Maybe I am just a bleeding heart, but I truly feel sorry for the kids who didn't ask to be born into poverty. And I don't think any adult living on poverty enjoys telling their child they can't afford to do activities or get a toy because they can't afford it. I have been that parent in the past. No, not on assistance, but not having enough gas money to drive my kids to the free public beach. It sucks. I don't wish that on anyone. Ok, stepping down from soap box. Sorry, just feel strongly on the issue of children and poverty.
ITA I actually treat the needy kids better as I do more for them simply because they do not get much. Just a couple months ago the same family who couldnt pay me because tehy have no money were at a festival. The mom was getting the dad a steak sandwich. I let it go and asked if the kids enjoyed the fest. He told me they want to ride and jump in the bounce house but we cant afford it. OK the steak sandwich you just got cost $10 and the kids can't have $1 to bounce? I took the kids for a ride on everything and they had a ball! Sure it cost me and I dont really have the extra but the smiles and laughter from the poor kids really over paid me! They talked about it for weeks!!

The kids are gone now I had to term for a serious issue and I miss them. I was trying so hard to hang on because I feel the same as you. When the kids are here they are safe, they are FED they are cleaned up and not sitting in filthy diapers etc. They have fun here and the learn. I have a soft spot in my heart for the needy especially kids. I just hate to see parents like theirs teaching them to expect handouts and get revenge if you dont get it. I hope the kids learned real love and real support here but they are so young I will never know sadly.