View Single Post
logged out 06:40 PM 09-16-2011
Originally Posted by countrymom:
do you give her warning that its going to be bed time, I know some use timers. Also, supernanny uses a good technique, its the no talking technique. You tell her its time for bed, get her situated. turn you back on her (still sit there) if she gets up, put her back, but don't talk to her, every time she gets up put her back down, never talk to her. Eventually she will get so tired of it and go to sleep, it will take several days but it does work.
I thought that was really good advice (I love super nanny!), and I've been trying that. Sitting by her, but basically ignoring her (that's after I've exhausted trying the calming back rub). But she starts talking to me while I'm sitting there, and the more I don't respond to her, the louder she gets. Then she starts with the getting up, or kicking the wall, flopping her feet against the floor, just anything to keep herself moving. As soon as she gets up, I lay her back down. Immediately she jumps up again (that is if she doesn't have the loud fit instead), so I lay her down again, back and forth. But she LOVES this! Like it's a game. And she does not get tired of it. She turns it into a "how fast can I jump up and run the other direction before she can catch me?" game. She'll run off laughing. I take her hand and bring her back to her cot. She either tries to jerk away and then says I'm hurting her when I don't let go, or has another fit, or tries something else on her cot to stay awake. I'm pretty sure it's for the attention, but if I don't sit right there with her, she gets up and bothers the others, or starts playing with the toys, or comes to me to talk (which I then don't respond, trying to discourage her from any interaction (since it's not the time for it), but she gets so upset when I don't respond and just talks louder. Or starts crying. Loudly.
She does have warning that it's nap time. We have lunch, then a few minutes on cot with a book (while we clean up), then the books get put away, and we start patting backs. She, on the other hand, runs to play with toys. When told to choose a book and go to her cot she has an immediate fit, "not wanting a nap. Not tired". She is really smart, and knows the routine (it's been the same for I don't know how long!). Right before we dismiss from lunch, we remind them to choose a book and go to their cot. I set up cots while they're eating, so they can see nap times coming even before we have to say it.
Thanks for the suggestions! Keep them coming please!