View Single Post
daycare 09:21 AM 09-28-2012
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
Do you feel that if a career woman chooses to have kids, that they should reduce the amount of time they spend in the office or make their work schedule so that they can mother their children?

I think each mother needs to make the changes in her life (including work) to do whatever SHE (and the father) think is important as far as parenting goes. Some parents place the most value on the first 5 years of life, others feel staying home the whole 18 years is important. I think each mother needs to do what she feels is right. I have seen both mothers who value the staying at home time while their kids are babies and others value being available to their children in later years. There is no one right or wrong here.

Do you think that a mother should be willing to sacrifice her career so that she can have children? Would that be fair?

I don't think a career or children should ever be "sacrificed" for anything. You need to do what is important to you and if family and children are more important and you chose that over working then it isn't a sacrifice, it is a choice. If you feel work is more important that full time parenting, then that is also a choice. It is only viewed as a sacrifice to those who don't value the same things.

Is it fair to the children who have mothers who are career women and therefore the children have to be in daycare's or cared for by a caregiver for very long periods of time?

ALL children are different and have different needs. It isn't fair or unfair to be in child care and primarily raised by someone other than a parent if that isn't what THAT particualr child needs. It also isn't fair for a child to be at home with their parent 100% of the time with no socialization from others if that isn't what that particular child needs. Again, doing what is right and necessary for EACH child is what matters. There is no one size fits all for kids. or parents.

AND, does it make a difference who the primary caregiver is? Mom or Dad?

Again, it depends on the child. Some children need their mom more than their dad and vice versa. I don't think it matters the sex of the primary caregiver as long as ALL the child's needs are being met fully and in a quality manner.

That is my 2 cents.
thanks BC I love how neutral all of your answers are..

ON that last question....mom vs dad....if you were working 70+ hour weeks and the care that dad was providing was not suitable for how YOU wanted the children raised, do you think that it would be fair to say that you should then make your schedule so that you can be home more and parent the children the way you want them?