View Single Post
Blackcat31 06:45 AM 05-28-2013
Originally Posted by wahmof3:
I love to read the stories of how other providers have used their backbone and said no to requests or turned away DCF's at the door because of sickness or non-payment. I think its awesome, but I can't help but think that if I would do some of these things that I wouldn't have any DCFs.
I think your biggest issue is allowing someone to do something until it bothers you and then you put a stop to it. I personally would set the mood for your rules and policies IMMEDIATELY upon the interview so they know up front that the "little cracker" IS a big deal. (and why)

THAT is what sets you up for being called passive aggressive

Explain to families during the interview that you don't allow certain behaviors and then don't allow them. Don't waive them, don't over look them and certainly don't give anyone a "Well just this one time" kind of pass....

Cover your issues or problem areas (food brought in, late payments etc) during the interview and explain why you have the rules/policies you do BEFORE the issue happens.

When you do clean up AFTER an issue happens, it seems parents get the most upset.

I know you think that if you are a hard a$$ from the get-go that you won't have any families but I will tell you a little secret;

People WANT rules, guidelines and boundaries.....just like kids need and want them. Human nature pre-programs us to have free will but I still think the general population wants to have some sort of rules or guildlines to live by.

Just like kids it makes us feel safer and helps us know our behavior is acceptable.

Honestly, if I hadn't seen it myself with my own two eyes, (and business) I would not believe it either, but the more professional you are and the more clear cut your rules are, the more families WILL respect you.

It's kind of like being a teen. You want to do all these things you can't do and can't wait to be an adult. Then you get to be an adult and being able to be in charge and make the rules doesn't seem so much fun anymore.

When you take charge and be a strong leader, people follow. They just do. I have parents ask me if they can get a free pass on my rules/policies periodically because life does happen. Sometimes I let them but it is VERY rare and I make darn sure that they know it is a ONE TIME thing and not something I will allow on a regular basis.

I am not sure I explained that well but hopefully it makes sense.