View Single Post
Starburst 02:33 PM 07-07-2013
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
Please don't assume that I don't value the education of a child.....

I discuss the downside of standards getting higher and more time consuming because as a child care provider (WITH a degree, by the way) I already work 50-60+ hours per week.

Requiring MORE from a provider who works that much in a week's time for LOW wages is NOT something that is doable or even feasible in the real world.

Child care providers are already one of the lowest paid professions there is. Not to mention the fact that there are no medical benefits, pensions or retirement plans just more standards. .

NOT all child care providers WANT to teach academics.
I never said that it looks like you don't value education in a child, I said in a child care professional.

Maybe by increasing the standard that will lower the over abundance of child care providers in certain areas where there are too many child cares there will be more emphasis of importance in this field (after all if it weren't for daycare, many parents would not be able to work). The way I see it the more of something someone has have the less they tend to value it. This may be the excuse that some providers need to increase their rates or help them to qualify for more tax breaks or even better access to benefits (such as being able to care for an additional SA child without an assistant, or their own child not counting for their ratio, or a type of licenses that would allow them to care for an extra group of children with an additional assistant).

If they don't want to teach academics that's fine, then they shouldn't advertise as a preschool or they should focus mostly on infants/after school children or cater to parents who want to "unschool" their children. And as I stated in PP, part of quality care to me is having an enriching environment that educates as well as cares.