View Single Post
HHangout 07:30 AM 08-12-2019
My daughter (6) has behavioral issues with my husband and I and with nobody else. If skmeone dare tell me I dont discipline my kid there would be an issue. Sometimes there are compromises because she is a human being that deserves to be heard and has had some good ideas I didnt think of.

Kids basically reset basically each day, esp when theyre younger. My daughter constantly shows me her level of understanding when I think something is perfectly clear. If I permanently said NO to everything she had a fit about she would not even be alive because she wouldnt be able to exist. Theyre learning and training and time doesnt exist-they do t have a concept of 5 minutes or 1 hour. They can "try again" when calm and be rewarded for the good behavior. Of course there are lengthty consequences to be had for repeated behaviors depending on age. 1 tantrum doesnt mean the consequence should be forever. Multiple tantrums, yes. My daughter has fits over the TV and if she cant handle it being turned off, the next day there isnt tv. She is at the age to understand that non- immediate consequence. But, if she does it repeatedly or throws a BIG tantrum, like she did on Saturday, it is gone for weeks.

No, he didnt earn McD's that day and he has big emotions and cant handle the no. Mom disciplined by not having McDonalds for whatever reason. I threw tantrums until I was 10 about McDonalds and now I wont touch it. He wont even remember the tantrum 2 days later.
However, the next day he probably acted differently and received his "reward" for it. Or circumstances changed and they were able to go, for example they left earlier. The child probably didnt tie two and two together, they dont have that sense of logic at that age.

His smile wasnt about "ha I tricked mom!" It was "I got something yummy and I feel special".

Being a parent is way different than childcare.